THE 3 FINEST PEAKS FOR MOUNTAINEERING ADVENTURE IN EAST AFRICA
Mountaineering is an adventurous activity which is a more specified version of hiking. There are 3 finest peaks for mountaineering adventure safaris in East Africa namely; Mount Kilimanjaro, Mount Kenya, Mount Stanley. Hiking is basically walking in the nature on a specified trail while mountaineering is like a sport which involves climbing a mountain. Many people are obsessed with mountain climbing because of the beauty of nature which makes people fitter, calmer, and happier but the main point is to stand on a summit of a peak and it’s always incredible and it will give you feelings words cannot describe as well as a sense of freedom while ascending on the mountain . Luckily there are some African countries where mountain climbing is actively achieved and below are the finest peaks to summit in Africa;
Tanzania is blessed with the tallest mountain in the whole African continent and it’s ranked as the highest free-standing mountain in the world known as Mount Kilimanjaro, its 5,895 metres above the sea level with three volcanic cones namely; Kibo, Mawenzi and Shira though Kibo is the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro which is dormant since Mawenzi and Shira are believed to be extinct. The highest point on Kibo crater is known as Uhuru which is a mountaineer’s ambition to reach and many people have achieved it. The most interesting part of summiting Mount Kilimanjaro is that whoever reaches Uhuru peak will always be remembered in the history of mountaineering because the alpinist records his or her thoughts and achievement of mountaineering in a book stored in a wooden box at the top. History recorded the oldest persons to summit Mount Kilimanjaro was an 87 years old Frenchman known as Valtee Daniel and Dr Fred Distelhorst a newly record breaker who is 88 years old. The youngest person was a 6 years old Coltan Tanner who was recorded on October 22nd in 2018.
- Summiting Mount Kilimanjaro is not a boring adventure as some people may think because it’s like having a nature walk through the rainforest as you spot different animals from a distance such as the Colobus monkeys, serval cats, duikers, unique mammals such as porcupines, honey bar and many others. Summiting Mount Kilimanjaro as well as descending to the finishing point takes approximately 5-9days. Mountaineering is very challenging that’s why before going for this adventure, you are briefed about the conditions, seasonal climates, costs and requirements to prepare for this challenge which applies to both the beginners and the experienced.
- The best time to go for mountain climbing on Mount Kilimanjaro is from January-February because they are the warmest months therefore the sky is clear and sunny though you might experience some rain without heavy pours. Most days during those months are not hard since the trails are not steep though it gets coldest and windiest in the night.
- Mountaineering is an expensive adventure but the experience and memories are worth the expense. The cost of climbing Mount Kilimanjaro varies from $2000 to $6000 depending on different unavoidable costs. The easiest mode of transport to reach Mount Kilimanjaro before summiting to its peak is by flying to Kilimanjaro International Airport which is approximately 51.1km away from Mount Kilimanjaro taking approximately 5 hours’ drive.
Mount Kenya is an extinct volcano and the highest mountain in Kenya as well as the second highest in Africa after Kilimanjaro. Mount Kenya was formed due to the eruptions of successive layers of lava and agglomerates from a central vent in the earth’s surface It is known for its overly broad scenery, astonishing landscape and lush forests. Mount kenya is 5199 metres above with three highest peaks namely; Batian, Nelion and Lenana which were named after the Masai chiefs. Batian is the main summit of Mount Kenya which is highly desired by the rock climbing adventurers and interestingly, Mount Kenya is surrounded with an amazing national park which increases the chances of seeing the wild animals from a distance along the routes and there are huts in some special places on different routes for climbers to rest. Mount Kenya is an excellent place with exceptional lakes, tarns, 11 small fine glaciers, dense forests, mineral springs, rare endangered animals and unique Alpine vegetation. Mount Kenya was discovered by Johann Ludwig Krapf the European explorer, partially climbed by Samuel the Hungarian explorer.
- Summiting Mount Kenya is not a piece of cake though it’s worth exploring. Mountaineering on Mount Kenya is a challenging and enjoyable journey just like mountaineering on mount Kilimanjaro. Ascending and descending Mount Kenya can be done in four days though it can as well be done between 5-6 days regardless of which route you use. Summiting Mount Kenya cost between 600 and 700 EUR as well as 700 and 800 USD. There are key animals to find at mount Kenya such as; Elephants, Tree hyrax, White tailed Mangoose, Suni, Black fronted Duikers, mole rats, bushbucks as well as water bucks, leopards, giant forest hogs and many others.
- The best months favorable for mountaineering on mount Kenya are traditionally January to March and June to October though it can be done all year around since the climate change has made it more difficult to predict mountaineering is a heavily technical climb that requires patience and commitment especially those who are summiting the Gates of Mist known as the Batian peak.
- Mount Kenya is situated around 200kms and 125 miles in the northeast of Nairobi where by you need to fly to Nairobi international Airport known as Jomo Kenyatta international airport. Upon arrival, Mount Kenya can be easily reached by the means of road transport whether by bus or private means from chogoria town to the east of the mountain approximately 96km from Embu and 64km from Meru. It does not matter whether you are a beginner to go for mountain climbing on Mount Kenya and most beginners make it to point Lenana.
Mount Stanley also known as mount Ngaliema is the third highest mountain in Africa shared by both Uganda and Democratic Republic of Congo in the Rwenzori range known as Mountain of the moon. Mount Stanley was formed as a fault mountain rising between two rifts in the African Rift system, it’s 5,109 metres above with 9 out of the 10 peaks that rise above 16,000 feet with the highest point in range being Margherita peak rising at 16,762 feet which was named after Queen Margherita of italy followed by Alexandra, Albert, Savoia, Ellena, Elizabeth, Phillip, Moebius and Great Tooth. Mount Stanley was named after an European journalist as well as Explorer known as Henry Morton Stanley and he was the first European to reach Margherita peak. Mount Stanley is a spectacular mountain rising through jungle and other worldly bogs culminating in a number of sharp peaks listed above, the peaks are surrounded by Africa’s largest concentration of glaciers. Mountain Stanley is not of Volcanic origin unlike most African snow peaks.
- Just like Mount Kilimanjaro and Mount Kenya, summiting Mount Stanley is no walk in the park which requires a good level of physical fitness and ideally even beginners with high altitude trekking since it involves some challenging terrain. Ascending and descending Mount Stanley takes approximately 8 days making 7 nights spent on camps up on the mountain. Animals of the Rwenzori Mountain that can be possibly seen include; Elephants, Giant forest hogs, Rwenzori Otters, Duikers, Bushbucks and Leopards. There are primates such as Blue Monkeys, Angola colobus monkeys, black and white colobus monkeys as well as Chimpanzees.
- Just like other Mountains, Mountaineering can be done throughout the year though it’s always better in the dry season between January to February and mid June through mid August since during the wet season, there are heavy rains, sleet and snow which lash the ranges. The cost climbing the Rwenzori ranges depends on the kind trip you wish to have whereby if it’s a budget, it costs $1,000 while if it’s a Luxury trip, it costs $2,800 all-inclusive and everything can be organized by ENJOY SAFARIS AFRICA which is one of the greatest safari handlers.
- Mount Stanley is situated in East-Central Africa since its bordered by Uganda and Democratic Republic of Congo though it can be easily accessed from Uganda. From Kampala by road, there are two major routes to this snow peaked mountain, the northern one through Fortportal and the southern one through Kasese reach to Ibanda on the foot of the Mountain which are well paved. Summiting Mount Stanley is an epic trek through the lush forest, streaming water falls as you climb towards the Rwenzori icy snowy peaks and upon reaching the peak, you get time to capture the moment of victory as you rejoice over coming this challenging mountain.