British tourist drinks himself to death in Cyprus

British tourist drinks himself to death in Cyprus

A young British tourist choked to death after downing at least 15 drinks during an all-night binge on a lads’ holiday.

Friends said electrical apprentice George Yuill was the “sensible” one as they went clubbing in the party resort of Ayia Napa, Cyprus.

But after they drank cheap alcopops and vodka mixed with Red Bull until 6am, the 20-year-old died in bed.

His best friend Billy Nickson found him lying face down in their room shortly after the end of their 10-hour session.

Deputy Coroner Briony ­Ballard recorded a verdict of alcohol-related death at the inquest in Southwark, south London.

George, of Eltham, south London, died of asphyxiation.

But because the body was embalmed abroad, doctors in Britain were unable to determine the amount of alcohol in his system.

Mr Nickson told how they booked the holiday in August 2012 with six friends, then linked up with other young people for a night out.

He said: “George was not a heavy drinker and on average would drink about seven or eight pints.

“This would be all he drank and he would be the sensible one in the group.

“On the night George died, we were joined by eight ladies from our hotel so there were 16 of us.

“At around 8pm we were drinking and socialising. George was drinking vodka and Coke and alcopops, like WKD – he had two or three of those drinks.

“We went out as a large group and went to a bar that had an offer of ten euros for as much drink as you can have.”

They went on to a club, then returned to their hotel room where George was said to be in a “good mood” but not drunk.

The friends continued drinking, then went to a strip club, before returning to the hotel for more drinking.

At about 6am, as most of the party were going to bed, George was seen finishing off some of the leftover drinks.

Mr Nickson said: “About 15 minutes afterwards, George hit his head after collapsing but I didn’t see any injury and he didn’t complain. He sat on a chair then said he was going to sleep and laid down on the balcony.

“I was concerned about him and he had said he was going to be sick so I put him on his side and covered him with a blanket. I wanted to go to sleep so me and my friend Jordan carried George inside next to my bed so I could watch him.”

He discovered the body when he woke at about 9am and found him lying face down on the pillow.

He said: “I turned him over. George was blue all over. I tried to wake him but couldn’t.”

Ms Ballard told George’s family: “I can’t imagine the grief of losing one so young and so special.”

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.